Traditionally, Summer is a time when our energy bills naturally deplete. Between the longer days and warmer temperatures, we tend to use less energy in our homes. Regardless of this, we want to make sure you’re maximizing your energy savings in every way possible.
We’ve come up with eight top tips for saving energy in the home during the summer months. Enjoy!
1. On hot days, avoid using the oven
Cook on the stove, use a microwave oven, or grill outside.
2. Hang dry your laundry
Your clothes will smell fresh, and sunshine is a natural bleach.
3. Wash laundry in cold water
Do your laundry efficiently by using the warm or cold
4. Keep your refrigerator at the right temperature for energy efficiency and food safety
Keep your fridge and freezer at the right temperature to keep your food safe from bacteria. Set your fridge at or below 4°C and your freezer at or below -18°C.
5. Use the dishwasher to wash your dishes
Surprise! Your dishwasher uses less water than washing dishes by hand. Conserve energy by running the dishwasher only when it is fully loaded and turn off the dry cycle and air-dry dishes instead.
6. Take short showers instead of baths
It’s more refreshing in the hot summer months and will save energy and money.
7. Is your natural gas fireplace pilot still on? Turn it off. Turn off pilot lights where possible
Turn it off. Turn off pilot lights where possible.
8. If you have central air conditioning, turn up your thermostat
Set your thermostat higher – about 26 degrees – or turn it off.
Empower Me is a free program designed to help multilingual and multicultural communities learn to save energy, save money and to make their homes more comfortable and safe. Participants of the Empower Me program receive a free energy training plus a kit of energy savings products worth $90. Register below to receive your energy kit today.
Leave a Comment